Friday 25 June 2010

Day Two - Basque(ing) on the Beach!

Up late before getting to know the town today. Had breakfast at wee corner place just yards from the Pension Urkia. Then made my way to the Bahia de La Concha or Kontixako Badia and walked the full length of both beaches and back once again. It was great to get the salt water about my feet and I am sure it has done me the world of good!

By this time it was getting on for midday and I decided to pay a visit to the Tourist Information for details of the town. The staff were very friendly and provided me with all I needed to know for my short break. The library next door was my next port of call and I printed off two attachments from e-mails I'd sent to myself with details of both Donostia and Bilbo (for my trip tomorrow).



Then it was time for lunch and I headed for the Old Town and Restaurant Jose Mari on Fermin Calbeton for the Menu del Dia - it was not too bad. Then it was a wee drink while waiting for the next tourist bus excursion. The bus was a good introduction to the town and gave me an idea of the layout of everything. It was getting very hot by this time and it was back to the Pension Urkia for a wee siesta. 



After a suitable wee rest it was tapas time. I had prepared some info before I left Scotland with regards both Donostia and Bilbo. I had printed this off earlier at the library and now suitably armed, I went tapasing. It was a lovely night and still early enough not to be too busy. I managed to sample several of the places recommended and even some not recommended!!!


There was also a folklore festival taking place&nbsp on Plaza de la Constitucion as well as some Basque music and dance being performed. There was some Irish stuff as well - River Dance without the overkill!




With an early start tomorrow - 8.10 bus to Bilbo - it was soon time for bed, as Zebedee said!


1 comment:

  1. So you are now in wonderful Donostia, such a nice city. Have you tried the cider yet ? And of course you need to eat some seafood, best there is in Spain. Weather looks like it's being kind to you. Here all is well and the sun still shines every day. Parque de Aiete well worth a visit if you have the time.

    ReplyDelete