Wednesday 23 June 2010

Day One - The Train ya Basque!

Got up early - once again!! I had the 9.25 train to catch to Donostia. First Class - ya Basque! First of all breakfast in the hotel and then paid my bill. It was even more reasonable than when I booked - 48 euros a night!

A walk to the station left me with plenty of time to get through security (they have baggage security in Spanish mainline stations!). Whilst waiting some French pilgrims asked me to take a photograph and it gave me a chance to practice my French!!! The train duly arrived and I located the 1st Class (Preferente) carriage and my window seat. The journey itself was to take 12 hours and was a wonderful trip across the varied landscape of northern Spain. At 25€ it was excellent value!! The weather too was glorious and going across the Meseta, I noted that station thermometers were registering 38!!!! The air conditioning on the train was being severely tested and they even offered free bottled water. I arrived in Donostia about 15 minutes late and was directed to Pension Urkia by a helpful lady outside the station entrance. In a matter of minutes I was unpacking once again in a very pleasant room. After a shower and.....yes you've guessed it....doing my laundry, I headed out to a Tapas Bar recommended by the hotel proprietrix - a really helpful lady indeed!

A few vino blancos, some calamari and pinxos and it was time for bed.

No photies today. Always a reflection fae the windae on the train! But lovely scenery just the same - though crossing the Meseta was a bit boring.

Night! Night!

No comments:

Post a Comment